Good Weekend Quiz: January 1615th January 2021
6. Which video gaming company was founded as a manufacturer of playing cards in 1889?
7. The “Wimmera period” is associated with which Australian artist?
8. Yorkers, gullies and silly mid-ons are terms associated with which sport?
9. In 1996 Garry Kasparov defeated a powerful IBM chess computer. What was its name?
10. Why did the crew of Wild Oats X “make history” in the 2018 Sydney to Hobart yacht race?
11. Which visual artist designed the cover of the 1967 Velvet Underground and Nico album?
12. How many zeros are in 100 trillion?
13. “I am an invisible man” is the first line of which Ralph Ellison novel?
14. On what trees do hazelnuts grow?
15. What “boxing” is often referred to as “the fifth element” of hip-hop music?
16. Starting with “O”, what is a wine connoisseur known as?
17. In Greek mythology, what is the name of the first woman?
18. Which American musical was awarded the 2016 Pulitzer Prize in Drama?
19. Bitter Sweet Symphony was a 1997 hit for which UK alt-rock band?
20. Which road in Australia is considered the world’s largest war memorial?
21. What is another name for a small short-tailed scrub wallaby?
22. In US presidential elections, is the total number of electoral college votes 370, 426 or 538?
23. In The Twelve Days of Christmas, what was the fifth gift given by “my true love”?
24. What “walks” in 2000 were Australia’s largest display of public support for a single cause?
25. What body part contains “the hammer” and “the anvil”?
1 Cantaloupes. 2 Electromagnetic radiation. 3 Motown Records (from motor city). 4 Martello towers. 5 The Haunting of Bly Manor. 6 Nintendo. 7 Sidney Nolan. 8 Cricket. 9 Deep Blue. 10 First all-female professional crew to sail in the race. 11 Andy Warhol. 12 14. 13 Invisible Man (1952). 14 Hazel trees. 15 Beatboxing. 16 Oenophile. 17 Pandora. 18 Hamilton. 19 The Verve. 20 Great Ocean Road (Victoria). 21 Quokka. 22 538. 23 Five golden rings. 24 Walks for Reconciliation. 25 Ear.
Fancy yourself a quizmaster? Send us a question; we include one from a reader each week and acknowledge it here. Email: email@example.com: label it “GW Quiz Entry”. Reader question 25 by Anne Halloway of Fairlight, NSW.
To read more from Good Weekend magazine, visit our page at The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and Brisbane Times.
Have a Good Weekend all week
We deliver the best of Good Weekend to your inbox so it’s there when you’re ready to read. Sign up for the Herald‘s Good Weekend newsletter here and The Age‘s here. Sent every Saturday.