Lives and homes under threat as bushfire spreads in Toodyay
A bushfire emergency warning has been issued for people in the Toodyay Holiday Park and Chalets and travelling on Racecourse Road in the vicinity of the Toodyay Racecourse.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services issues the warning at 6.15pm.
It said residents in the area were in danger and needed to act immediately to survive.
The fire started near the intersection of Toodyay Road in Toodyay.
A watch and act is current for the wider Toodyay area.
Advice for affected residents:
- If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
- Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home.
- Go to a room in your home away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
- Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
- If you are not at home, it’s too dangerous to return.