No new local COVID-19 cases in Qld as border shuts to Melbourne travellers

No new local COVID-19 cases in Qld as border shuts to Melbourne travellers

13th February 2021 Off By adpublisher

Queensland health authorities have detected no new cases of locally transmitted COVID-19 from more than 7000 tests, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has confirmed, as the state closes its border to travellers from greater Melbourne.

But two people who had recently returned from overseas and were staying in hotel quarantine were discovered to have the virus, as the state’s latest hotspot declaration — in response to the growing Holiday Inn cluster — took effect from 1am.

In an update posted to social media on Saturday morning, Ms Palaszczuk said 7597 tests had been carried out in the past 24 hours as contact tracers worked to reach some 1500 people who had travelled into the state through Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport.

Acting Chief Health Officer Sonya Bennett said on Friday the decision to close the border for at least 14 days to greater Melbourne was to allow contact tracers to get started on working through those people.